- Dash of olive oil for frying
- Some butter
- 1 packet bacon pieces, or rashers cut into strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 punnet mushrooms (brown are best)
- 1 packet baby spinach
- 2 wheels of feta
- Salt and black pepper
- Pinch chilli flakes or powder (or any flavoured salt with some chilli in it)
- ½ – ¾ of a packet of pasta (I use whole wheat) – for a healthier option serve with quinoa instead
- Parmesan to sprinkle on top
Heat olive oil and butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Fry bacon, onion, green pepper and garlic. Let it catch a little so the edges go brown. Add salt, black pepper and chilli flakes/powder – or the chilli flavoured salt if you are using that instead. Add extra butter/oil as you go if you need it.
Put the pasta on to boil – it should be al dente when you take it off the stove.
Add mushrooms and once they are almost soft, add spinach. Once fully cooked and wilted turn down heat and crumble the feta into the rest of the veggies. (If you happen to have some left over cream in the fridge you can add it too). Taste the sauce – the chilli should be a slight hint for extra flavour, not actual burn. Drain pasta and stir into the sauce. If you want to be extra indulgent, sprinkle grated cheddar on top and pop it into the oven for a few minutes.
Serve with parmesan, wine and candlelight!